The second project is associated with the Artwork Analysis writing assignments. This project will require you to visit a museum or gallery, pick out one work, and respond to its formal, contextual, and conceptual characteristics. You will choose the work from those at the Evansville Museum. The minimum 1200 word paper will be submitted to turnitin.com, should include some information about the physical characteristics of the work that can only be observed first-hand. Make sure that the paper has a cover page, uses citations of source material, and has an associated bibliography. It is recommended to review the Artwork Analysis writing assignment before submitting the paper.
Form – These evaluations will be descriptive and use terminology related to the elements of art and the principles of design. This type of evaluation should be objective, but does not require any citation or bibliography because it is done from careful observation of the image alone. It does require a knowledge of the visual fundamentals of art.
Context – These evaluations will be researched and be factual information related to the background of the work. It may consist of artist biographical information, information about the medium used, associations that the title of the work implies, conditions that existed during the time period, associated information about the style or movement with which the work might be associated, or other facts about the work. This evaluation requires citations to note the source of specific information and a bibliography to support the citations.
Content – These evaluations are subjective and interpretive. These interpretations may be derived from associations based on observation of the form of the work, the context surrounding the work, the associated experiences that you bring when reacting to the work, or the impression others have written about the work (needs citation/bibliography). Since this evaluation is subjective much of it can be based on your own personal impressions and interpretations. No citation or bibliography is necessary unless an outside source is used. Content analysis includes Iconographic, Biographical, Feminist, and Psychological.
The paper must have the following characteristics:
- an evaluation of the formal characteristics of the work
- an evaluation of the contextual characteristics of the work
- an evaluation of the conceptual characteristics or content of the work
- have appropriate citations to denote any information taken directly from other sources
- have a bibliography that directs a reader to the sources of the citations and other source material
- The paper MUST evaluate the physical characteristics of the work that can only be seen when viewing the work in person. Even painted and drawn surfaces have a texture that can be described. I want to you to go see the work in person, do not try doing this work without going to a museum.
When evaluating this paper I will look carefully at:
– meets minimum requirements (word count, topic, etc.)
– well crafted (grammar, spelling, etc.)
– level of discourse (Are you challenging yourself?)
– relative to topic (Does the discussion reflect the work being analyzed?)
– creativity (inventive forms of expression used)
you will find the art work ached with this order that you should work on