ASSIGNMENT: Drafting the resume and autobiography
ASSIGNMENT: DRAFTING THE RESUME AND AUTOBIOGRAPHY
Draft your resume and autobiography in a single Microsoft word document so that you can post one document for your peers to review. Follow the instructions below when drafting both.
1. REMEMBER YOUR AUDIENCE: When you make choices in the steps below, keep your audience in mind. In this case, the audience is the non-profit you profiled. Your job in this project is to convince decision-makers in this organization to hire you do some technical writing for the organization. Your challenge here is that you have not completed your technical writing class, so you will have to draw on your other experiences to convince the organization.
2. FIND A GOOD TEMPLATE: There are hundreds of templates available online and in Microsoft Word. Remember that you can take templates and tailor them to your own needs. You can also take sections in templates and move them around. Some templates can be found at the following links:
3. CONSIDER A SKILL-BASED RESUME: You can emphasize the skills you do have in this type of resume. See explanation and examples at the following sites:
4. DEVELOP THE CONTENT: Read the articles below and follow the advice in them when developing the content of your resume.
- Use concrete language to describe your abilities. (Links to an external site.)
- Use clear, active verbs. (Links to an external site.)
- Make the most of your experience and abilities. (Links to an external site.)
- Include your education. (Links to an external site.)
1. CREATE A HOOK OR THEME: Develop focus for your autobiography by organizing it around a hook or theme. Use a hook or theme that will help you get hired by your non-profit. Think about things you have experienced or abilities you have than match with the organization’s mission and goals.
2. WRITE A TOPIC SENTENCE THAT SPELLS OUT YOUR HOOK OR THEME: Your autobiography SHOULD NOT begin with “I was born in…” Start with a main idea that captures your hook or theme.
3. USE ONLY DETAILS THAT SUPPORT YOUR HOOK OR THEME. Since 200 words in so short, limit your autobiography to details from your life that illustrate the main idea you want to prove. See the website below for steps and examples.
This rough draft will count toward 10% of your final project grade. In order to get full credit for your drafts, be sure to include both in a timely post to the discussion below.
BECAUSE YOU WILL SHARE THESE DOCUMENTS WITH CLASSMATES, BE SURE TO EDIT OUT PERSONAL INFORMATION SUCH AS ADDRESSES, COMPANY NAMES, AND DATES. INSTEAD, PUT DUMMY OR MADE UP TEXT IN THEIR PLACE. YOU SHOULD INCLUDE THE ACCURATE INFORMATION IN YOUR FINAL DRAFT.