NUTR 301 Nutrition, Health, and Ethnic Issues Ethnic Restaurant Review
Learning outcomes: Compare and contrast an ethnic restaurant’s representation of a specific culture to the information provided by the text and other written materials.
Discover how the atmosphere, service and food presentation of a restaurant is reflective of a specific culture.
Identify preconceived ideas about the foods of the specific culture and compare to the actual experience of consuming the foods.
1. Choose an ethnic restaurant of your choice. You are encouraged to choose a restaurant you have not previously visited. You must choose an ethnic restaurant that is independently owned and operated, fast food and chain restaurants are not acceptable choices.
2. Read the material in your text regarding the specific culture and two separate sources of information about the culture prior to visiting the restaurant. Visit the restaurant and choose foods that are representational of the culture (do not order a turkey club sandwich). It is helpful to visit the restaurants with others to allow for more food choices and opinions but it is not required.
3. Write the restaurant review in a narrative format. Read restaurant reviews in a local newspaper or magazine if you are uncertain of format. The review must contain the following information
a. Details of the restaurant you are reviewing b. Location, opening date, restaurant hours c. Description of the restaurant atmosphere.
i. Kid-friendly, bar available, noise level, artwork and décor d. Description of the menu
i. What types of foods are offered? Is it extensive or only offers a few choices?
What format is used?
e. Description of menu items ordered
f. Detailed description of foods ordered. If you have other people eating with you, get their feedback as well.
i. Was the food prepared and served by the restaurant consistent with the information in the text (or other resources) about foods from this ethnic group. Did it come from a specific region of the country? Do you feel the menu was adapted for the clientele?
h. Overall / Conclusion
i. What was your experience with the restaurant you visited? Would you ever go back? Why or why not? Would you recommend this restaurant to anyone?
i. Provide a list of resources used to prepare for your visit. This bibliography should be in proper format.
1. Each review should be 2-3 pages in length. Less or more than this will result in a lower grade. Be concise when putting your thoughts on paper.
2. Your review should be in narrative format.
3. The review must include a bibliography with at least 3 references.